Monday, April 6, 2009

We deserve it!


I've been dancing around and "playing the part" of being an entrepreneur for a couple of years now. Committing....sorta. Believing I could do it.....sorta. Coaching clients to take the risk....sorta. Getting new clients, networking, but not really connecting. I came up with every excuse I could think of and they "sorta" worked. "I wasn't ready." "The market was too tight." "I didn't have a unique service."

Then, a couples of years ago I was having a conversation about my struggling business with a good friend. I was complaining about lack of success. My friend interrupted me and said "You don't really want to be successful, do you?" That comment woke me up and forced me to face the truth: I didn't think I DESERVED to be successful!

Admitting that my struggles weren't about being ready, the market or the product was hard. Admitting this was about my self worth and how I really saw myself was hard. However, it was well worth it! Once I gave myself permission to be successful - I am. Giving myself permission to take risks, charge what I'm worth (I'm not cheap), be the best and be the expert gets easier everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Jan- You have hit a nerve! I have seen this phenomenon over and over - with clients and within myself. Thank you for outing this devious and negative thought pattern. Once it is recognized, like fear, moving beyond it becomes so much easier.

    Great blog - I am happy to have found you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete